Reassessment Doesn’t Have To Be A Nightmare
A reassessment can be a difficult experience for any individual or business. It’s natural to panic a little — or a lot — when you get a notice telling you that your taxes are being or have been reassessed, particularly if the amounts involved are large.
It might feel like you will have to justify everything you’ve ever done, and that you will be treated as guilty until proven innocent.
One of our goals is to help take away the panic as we assist you navigate your way through the process.
Much of our job involves just translating “tax” into plain English. Often our clients tell us that coming into our comfortable office helps them understand everything far more clearly than trying to talk to CRA personnel who have no stake in helping them understand the process or their options.
Taking The Fear Out Of Reassessment
In order to help you through a CRA reassessment dispute, we need to know what stage of the process you’re in. This will determine your options.
For the most part, a reassessment is not the time or place to explain to the CRA why an aspect of tax law is wrong, even if you feel it is. Going that route won’t help you, and helping you is our aim.
This is the time and place to work within the existing tax laws to get you the best results possible. This may involve:
- Helping you understand the CRA’s position
- Helping you understand your options
- Explaining your position to the CRA, in terms they can understand, with proper documentation and arguments that use their own reasoning to your advantage
- In certain circumstances, explaining to the CRA why the law may not apply to your situation
- Litigating your income or GST dispute in the Tax Court or beyond, if the reassessment is wrong in fact or law
- Negotiating a settlement, or helping you assess whether a settlement you have been offered is fair to you
- Applying for taxpayer relief, if that is the best option
Our lawyer has decades of experience, much of it working for the Department of Justice, and a keen understanding of the tax statutes and the reasons behind it. She also has excellent working relations with the people on the other side of CRA reassessment disputes.
Contact Junkin Law Office
We serve clients throughout Vancouver, Langley and Surrey. If you have been reassessed, call our North Vancouver office at 604-239-3346 or fill out our online form.